FLORAFELT POCKET PANEL INSTALLATION GUIDE
Florafelt Pocket Panels are the easiest and most affordable way to create a living wall or vertical garden. Simply mount the panels to a waterproofed surface, stretch open the pockets, then plant.
Be sure to read and understand our instructions. We have been using the system successfully for years and have learned the best ways to use this unique vertical garden system.
Designers use the system worldwide with incredible success. We have also seen some use the system incorrectly which is unfortunate. But the good news (and the beauty of our system) is that you can easily change out plants and modify irrigation at will. So we strongly suggest take a close look at our methods below so you too can grow a beautiful long-lived vertical garden you will be proud of.
The Florafelt Experience
- Pleated synthetic felt pockets are designed to stretch open and receive wrapped plants for a lightweight, dripless, changeable vertical garden experience.
- Discover the many ways you can use Florafelt to create a custom living wall installation indoors or in your outdoor garden.
- Learn how you can simply hang them on hooks and let them drip into your garden below or build waterproofed installations for interior plant walls.
- Use caution when using tools to protect yourself from injury
- Ensure proper grounding of electrical devices and always use a ground fault circuit interrupt (GFCI) in wet locations and where needed
- Make water holding tanks child safe by using locked covers
- Manage small parts and clean up work areas to prevent choking hazards
- Be aware of toxic plant materials around pets or children
- Wear gloves to project hands when using tools or handling plant materials
There are many ways to mount Florafelt Pocket Panels. You can simply hang them from their included mounting tabs or screw them directly to waterproofed walls. Have a look at our mounting methods link below.
Easy – Hang From Mounting Tabs
- Florafelt Pocket Panels are lightweight modular panels with felt pockets attached to a rigid plastic board
- The panels come with hanging tabs so they can also be hung on hooks, nails, or deck screws which works great for small installations in wet areas
Stretch Open Pockets
- Before you plant, first stretch open all the pockets using a small pipe or tool handle to get leverage
- Pull firmly but not excessively.
- Felt will give and stretch to about 2 ½ inches out
Tuck in the Flaps
- Very important for even watering.
- Necessary when stacking panels vertically.
- Tuck the bottom flap of the upper panel behind the top flap of the one below.
Florafelt Root Wraps
- Wraps are made from the same material as the pockets only thinner
- Wraps wick water to the soil
- Root will grow into and through the loosely woven felt
- Wraps are very important because they hold the soil together and prevent air gaps
- Wraps keep the soil contained and make for a tidy installation
- They can be reused or you can order new ones
- Plants can be removed and changed
- Mature plants attach themselves to the felt by their roots but can still be removed if required
- Small hair like roots can be broken and moved if necessary
- Often root disturbance will not harm the plant if moved
Florafelt Pocket Panels Irrigation
The Florafelt Pocket Panel system uses minimal soil so it must be watered very often depending on exposure and types of plants used. Water moves through the system so watering more frequently for shorter periods will conserve water.
- The Florafelt Pocket Panels require regular and constant watering
- Water moves through the system and drips from the bottom
- Moisture collects at the bottom fold in each pocket
- Roots grow into the moist felt
- Wrapped plants must touch the bottom fold to wick moisture
Drip Irrigation Kit
We offer a pre-assembled drip irrigation kit that saves you time and trouble.
- Automatic Irrigation recommended
- Pre-assembled timer/filter unit
- Irrigation and button emitters can be customised for your install
- Connect to it’s own ‘zone’ so you can adjust watering schedule
- Vertical gardens are watered more often than regular planters
- Suggest 4 times a day for 5-10 minutes for most situations
Drain Water Away
Many installations are installed in places where there is a garden directly below the living wall. Consider adding a french drain or rock bed to receive the drips. Set your timer to water in short bursts to minimise runoff and prevent flooding below.
- Direct water to a nearby drain
- Use on patios that need to stay dry
- Drain to a cistern for reclaim use
- Drain to a nearby planting bed in your garden
Planting the Wall
- Highly recommended to first install and test the irrigation system
- To check for even flow touch inside the back of the pockets
- Moisture will collect at the bottom fold of each pocket
- The front of the pocket will remain dry allowing the roots and soil to breath
- Be sure to seat the root wrapped plant firmly to touch the bottom of the pocket
- Water will wick up and into each plant
- In time roots will grow through the root wrapper and into the moist felt pocket